The MIT Press asserts that Black lives matter and that Black voices must be heard. We strongly support the struggle for racial justice. As a publisher of research and scholarship with a pronounced STEM focus, functioning as part of a system that has long contributed to white supremacy and misogyny, we must interrogate our role as gatekeepers and curators, and commit to amplifying Black and marginalized voices.
At this time we will accelerate our ongoing work to:
- Create an inclusive publishing process for authors of color
- Recruit proposals from BIPOC authors in all of the fields in which we publish
- Promote and publicize the work of BIPOC authors in a way that avoids tokenization
- Develop and publish books by BIPOC authors in all of our series, including the Essential Knowledge series
- Support our staff, board members, and collaborators to create a more actively anti-racist organization
We welcome advice and input from those who share our commitment. To share your input, visit our contact us page.