Press senior development officer Kathryn DeNitto writes on the Fund for the Future, which ensures the Press can continue to push the boundaries of publishing for decades to come
2022 has been a difficult year for those in the publishing industry. Supply chain delays, rampant disinformation, and rising inflation have all conspired against purveyors of knowledge. Yet even amid challenging times, the MIT Press has shown resilience and continues to thrive by leading in innovation and excellence.
Now in its 60th year, the MIT Press mobilizes knowledge for social impact by bringing world-changing ideas to diverse minds around the globe. To ensure that we can continue to push the boundaries of publishing for the public good for decades to come, we have established the MIT Press Fund for the Future—and I hope you will consider a gift on Giving Tuesday.
After all, solutions to the world’s challenges have the most impact when they are effectively communicated and widely understood. Your support will amplify our mission to address global challenges by giving voice to peer-reviewed research, with an emphasis on lifting up marginalized voices, making knowledge accessible, and combating disinformation. The MIT Press is the only university press grounded in science and technology; engaged in children’s STEM publishing; and actively transitioning a high-impact academic book and journal program to open access. Through its award-winning publications and global distribution channels, the Press continues its legacy of advancing groundbreaking knowledge from MIT to the world.
Your gift to the MIT Press will have an immediate impact by directly benefiting these initiatives:
- Diverse voices: Providing grants for work by authors who bring excluded and chronically underrepresented perspectives to the fields in which the Press publishes across the sciences, arts, and humanities.
- Open knowledge: Enabling open access to dozens of academic books and journals each year.
- Spreading truth and fighting misinformation: Improving the public’s trust in science and combating misinformation in the public sphere through innovative publishing models like Rapid Reviews: COVID-19 and the upcoming Rapid Reviews: Infectious Diseases.
- Community engagement: Enriching the Kendall Square community through the MIT Press Bookstore and numerous community events each year.
- Children and STEAM: Fostering a love of non-fiction and learning in younger generations with the children’s section of our Bookstore and the new MITeen and MIT Kids Press imprints.
- Design excellence: Continuing our legacy of award-winning design through finely crafted books and journals.
We thank you for considering the MIT Press as a worthy recipient and steward of your generous gift as we work to enliven communities, ignite debate, and spread new knowledge. Please contact me with any questions you have at email@example.com.